Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Edward Ardizzone RA

I am always on the look out for great prints to frame - I dream of all my walls completely filled with prints, floor to ceiling! Usually I prefer originals and the older the better (my oldest print is a XVIIIth century print of a ferret), but every now and then I cannot resist reproductions, even in the shape of a greeting card. 

While in London I visited the small but amazing shop owned by architect and designer Ben Pentreath. I love his work - he's a traditionalist - and I particularly love his English-ness (in case you had not noticed, I am an inveterate anglophile). His blog is my daily treat, feeding my love for English vintage and antique, art and architecture, books, country and city. You can read it here.

Among the many things I saw and wanted to carry home, I saw a couple of wonderful prints by Eward Ardizzone, perfect for a child's room. I guess I should have known about him, as he is an RA and I worked at the Royal Academy of Arts for quite a few years, but alas, I had not.


 
Ardizzone was an artist and a prolific children's books illustrator in the early to mid 1900's, worth reading about. There is a sweetness to his illustrations that I love. This time I went with the greeting card format and purchased a few to frame for my daughter's new bathroom - but I am already eying some of the vintage books on eBay!

No comments: